Thursday, September 13, 2007

Baby Hold On

I blame my lateness for posting on mental and physical exhaustion. Yes, the white flag has flown and I admit defeat, my children have kicked my butt. As I write this Livia is happily flinging our DVDs from their cabinet and onto the floor. Far from being the coveted "Yummy Mummy" I am officially Grouchy Mommy, Constantly Saying NO Mommy, Screaming Mommy, In Therapy for the Rest of the Their Adult Lives Mommy. Ok, well maybe not that. But being on my own with the kids since getting back to Italy has been HARD, compounded by the fact that Lorenzo is working hard at the office and the children have been home working hard on me every day. Last Saturday Livia woke up in bad mood and proceeded to yell/scream/express displeasure for much of the morning, mostly over the fact that I strapped her into her high chair while I cleaned the house. Around the time I was trying to spoon lunch into her I broke down, and called my mother, not giving a damn that it was 6am in the states and sobbed my frustration and exhaustion to her over the phone. She assured me that it was normal to feel like a mental breakdown was in order after four and half hours of wailing toddler. There are times when I see myself from an outside perspective thinking, this is not the mom I wanted to be. Giulio grates on my nerves as well, with his constant "why?" whenever he is asked to do anything. Last night we went out to a pizzeria for dinner and when dinner wasn't immediately forthcoming Giulio did his new way of expressing discontent: breath coming out in short puffs, bouncing up and down at the knees, arms held up towards me, a kind of "Mommy, want hug! " wail coming from his mouth. Lorenzo couldn't understand my impatience with this dance until I asked him how much he had seen Giulio awake in the last week and a half. He offered up a sad smile and was silent.
Relief is on the way though, Giulio started school on Monday doing half days all week before he starts full time next week. And this year he really seems to like school, the teacher is young and pretty and looks just how you think a nice nursery school teacher should look. Best of all the school is just around the corner, about a five minute walk from our house. Hello Bicycle, good bye car! But his time out the house was largely un-noticed because while he was at school I was helping Livia complete her day care placement period. Yes, we have switched day cares, Livia will now be going to the city run public daycare where Giulio went. She even has the same two teachers that he had, Rossella and Daniela. The word for daycare in Italian is nido, which means nest, a really great word to describe what you hope your child will see as a protected place, a kind of sanctuary, and they really go out of their way to make the child feel safe and comfortable there. Livia started her placement two weeks ago, and for the first week I wasn't allowed to leave the room where she was, not even to run to the bathroom. The point is at first to just get the child comfortable with the surroundings. Around Thursday she started having lunch, which I fed her the first time. It wasn't until this past Tueday (they never try anything new on a Monday after the kid has been home for two days with Mommy and Daddy) that I was allowed to leave the room for an hour while she played and then had lunch. I spent the last half of the week in the Parent's room, with a book, waiting for the occasional update as Livia went through her daily routine in the room across the hall. The first time she stayed for nap, I had to lie down with her which she seemed to find to be one big joke and proceeded to crawl all over me. On Wednesday and Thursday she went to sleep on her own. On Friday came the final challenge, if she could do her whole day, including nap and the snack that followed without me. She passed with flying colors. Actually home now must seem so boring to her after that place where everything is arranged for a small child. There is nothing she can't touch or play with or climb on. And she has gotten very attached to Rossella, just as Giulio was, which is just as well, as she will be with Rossella and Daniela for the whole two years (though for children who start when they are younger it is three years) that she is there. So no, I don't feel guilty or bad at all about leaving Livia there, with people who, compared to me as of late, are calm and aren't trying to prepare meals, do loads of laundry, or put away groceries while trying to take care of chidren.
There are two public day cares in our town, which means about 70 spots in total, and I still don't know how we managed to get in. Seeing as they are run by the town, they assemble a group of chidren that cover the whole socio-economic graph. There is a sliding pay scale, and they take a certain number of people from each braket so in the end you have a complete democratic mix of people, a doctor's child who is paying the full fee in the same class as an unemployed single mom's kid, who isn't paying anything. Much more democratic than anything I ever found in the States, including the concept that poor people should have access to top-notch childcare because they are probably the ones who need it the most. It is kind of interesting who you rub shoulders with, but that is how I have found Giulio's preschool to be as well, rich people have no problem sending their kids to the free public pre-school to be alongside their cleaner's children. Thanks to Lorenzo's policeman's salery and my 9 months out of the year job, we are paying the same amount for Livia to go full time that we were paying for her to go part-time at her old nido.
Yes, I'll admit it, there are times I think about leaving Italy. Not alone of course. I think about loading Lorenzo and the kids into the Boeing 767 and heading off to live in Cincinnati in my parent's basement until I can get a Master's degree and a good paying job. And Lorenzo can become the stay-at-home-dad that he is meant to be. But then I think about the nido and, to quote "The Sound of Music", then I don't feel so bad. And thinking that as of Monday I will have both kids being pleasantly occupied, fed, and tired out by other people from 9-3:30, well, I feel even better.

No comments: